Friday, May 15, 2009

Here comes Medlen

Braves fans know that Tommy Hanson is the future, but if you haven't been watching Gwinnett closely, you may not know about Kris Medlen. He's kind of like the Robin to Hanson's Batman if Robin led the minors in ERA (0.96) and was 5-0, having not given up an earned run in his last 3 starts. To learn more about Kris Medlen, check here. Still, I'm shocked and a little excited to see that its Medlen, not Hanson, who is getting called up to replace Reyes in the rotation. The reasoning is that he's just a placeholder until Glavine's ready to come back (I'll believe it when I see it) and that makes sense to me, but as someone who has become a Kris Medlen fan (because of his versatility - moving from shortstop to closer to relief to starter - the fact that he's not the whiz kid favorite that Hanson is, and his interviews, where he seems like a pretty down-to-earth guy), I'm rooting for him to dominate in his big chance in the spotlight. I've also heard rumors that he may be tradebait, rumors that I hope are false because the idea of a 2012 Braves rotation with Hanson, Jurrjens, and Medlen makes me happy in my pants.

No comments: